11 Follower

The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater
Bereits gelesen: 34 %
Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch 4.5 Totoros
(rounding up to five stars)
(Review can be found here as well: Scott Lynch - Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard #2) | AnjaIsReading

Deutsche Rezi ==> Scott Lynch - Sturm über roten Wassern (Gentleman Bastard #2) | AnjaIsReading)

This book picks up where [b:The Lies of Locke Lamora|127455|The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards, #1)|Scott Lynch|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320532483s/127455.jpg|2116675] ended. Kind of. Locke and Jean are in Tal Verrar now, planning the heist of their life. What happened between their flight from Camorr and their current actions is told in reminiscence chapters during the first half.

It seems like many readers are not happy with this book, and I can see why. It's somewhat different from The Lies..., so in the beginning I was a little worried I wouldn't like it - without any reason obviously. Because I loved Red Seas Under Red Skies as much as I loved The Lies..., even though I'm not really into piratical stuff. It was just great to be back in the Gentleman Bastard world, back with Locke and Jean.

The both of them are utterly amazing. It's wonderful to see how deep their friendship goes, how much they care for each other. They are the epitome of BBF. If I had to decide which one I love more, I would answer "No one", because both Locke and Jean are equally dear to me.
Not only those boys are brilliant, but all the other protagonists as well. All of them have personality and contribute their mite to the story. And I can't think of a single one who was not multifarious and well developed. Yeah, Scott Lynch has a knack for writing magnificent characters and killing them, but that's another story, one I'm not willing to tell, the wounds are way too fresh.

As for the plot I think it was a policy stroke to explore new avenues. Admittedly, knowing my favorite pair of thieves, planning and pulling off another heist might have been enough. But truth be told, I'm happy that there was more to the story than just a con game. Without development and fresh ideas, a series, as amazing as it may be, can get old pretty fast.
And despite all the, erm, side quests, despite fresh ground the story breaks, and despite all the battle lines that need to get drawn the heist part doesn't get the short end of the stick. There are so many twists and turns and surprises, it's like you can't round a corner without discovering something new. It's impressive how clever the plot is constructed, how all the different threads merge in the end, how bit by bit everything makes sense.
How can I not love a book that is so well balanced?

How can I not love a book that is so full of fun and sarcasm and gallows humor and a good dose of crazy and gore and thrill and suspense and mystery and Locke and Jean and love and hate and despair and betrayal and friendship and action? How can I not love a book that hit me right in the feels?
To be more accurate: This book cracked me up. Shocked me. Broke my heart. Healed my heart just to rip it out of my chest and shred it to pieces. This book made my cry like a baby. So many emotions...
How can I not love that?

Red Seas Under Red Skies is great narrated; vivid, rich in detail, pictorial, and the writing was great. Given that I'm not an English native speaker, I had some problems with all the nautical language, but I think that would have been also the case if I had read this book in German ^^ Be that as it may, I had to consult google several times and consult the dictionary several times more, but I couldn't memorize this gibberish to save my life. Therefore reading this book was a little exhausting from time to time. I can't blame it for that. I understand the need of technical jargon, and I think it was well used (as far as I can tell ^^). It's a good thing that I never felt the need to become a pirate or a mariner...

Now let's face to points I have to grumble about, the points which why only 4.5 Totoros.
a) The book ends with a cliffhanger, an evil one at that. Hmph.
b) There's one plot thread that doesn't wrap up. I think that will happen with the follow ups, but still... Hmph.
c) Ezri's dead. How could you, Scott Lynch. HOW COULD YOU ;__; Jean was so happy with her, I was so happy for him. Yeah, I knew from the first show up that she would fall in love with Jean and that she would die. Still I had hope. My poor Jean, poor Ezri *snivels* I hope you make up for this, Scott Lynch. Hmph.
d) Salon Corbeau. Yay for more or less destroying this fucked up village/town/whatever. But I wish there had been more. Not a lengthy fight, yet it would have been nice to witness the downfall of Salon Corbeau. Hmph.

Well, I think that's all I have to say about this book. Just one thing more: GIVE.ME.SEQUEL.NOW.